Tuesday 15 December 2009

Pointless warm-up matches, part 2

Following on from yesterday's post, my friend had another query regarding England's warm-up 'matches' (I use the word loosely) in South Africa. I reprint it here in full:

"I've noticed when people have been retired, the scorecard has shown them as 'retired out' rather than 'retired hurt'. Is this some new fad? It doesn't seem to quite give a true reflection of the state of play."

Well, my friend, this is not some new fad. You can only be out 'retired hurt' if you are genuinely hurt, and being out 'retired hurt' does not count as a wicket for the bowling side. If, on the other hand, you wish to stop batting for another reason (such as giving someone else a chance while playing in a pointless two-day match), then you will be out 'retired out'. And this, I'm afraid, does count as a wicket.

No comments:

Post a Comment