Thursday 18 March 2010

Daily Mail in ‘worth reading’ shock

If you thought my last post was controversial, then hang on. Once you’ve read this one, then the whole ‘not wanting England to win’ thing will seem like a trivial footnote to an ECB press release about a new sponsor for the domestic 40-over tournament (Clydesdale Bank, seeing as you ask).

For today I read the Daily Mail. It was not forced upon me, it was not a mistake. I chose to read the Daily Mail, and I enjoyed it. Of course, I didn’t let anyone see what I was doing, but nevertheless what I was doing was incontrovertible. I was reading the Daily Mail.

How could such a thing happen? The answer is simple - Lawrence Booth. I have written before of Mr Booth’s previous Guardian e-missive, The Spin, and his new one (The Top Spin, geddit?) is just as good. Except you have to go the Daily Mail website to read it.

There is no way of getting round this, as far as I know. You read it on the website or you sign up and it’s sent to your inbox - either way you’re in league with the Devil. But, like a number of other Devil-related pastimes, reading The Top Spin just feels good, and there can be no arguing with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment