Saturday 31 July 2010

Mark Nicholas’s ignorance of the Three Ws

First of all, let me get one thing straight – I like Five’s cricket coverage very much. For those of us who refuse to pay money to Rupert Murdoch, Five is all we have, and they do their highlights programmes pretty well.

However, I have always had a problem with Mark Nicholas. I know all the other commentators think he’s the best thing since sliced bread (Simon Hughes positively drools over his smoothness in Morning Everyone), but he annoys me intensely.

I think it’s his catchphrases (‘crackerjack’ anyone?), but perhaps it’s the dress sense – the three shirt buttons artfully left open, or the waistcoat he once wore while presenting on a chilly day (maybe I just dreamt that). I’m not sure what it is, but I don’t see what the fuss is about.

Even worse than the clothes and the ridiculous interjections is his continual reference to the URL of Five’s website as ww.five.tv. Does he not know that you need three Ws in a URL? Why does no one pick him up on this? I even checked to see if ww.five.tv works – it doesn’t.

When will Mark Nicholas realise that the three Ws are more than just a group of great West Indian batsmen?

For the record, you can find highlights of England matches at http://www.five.tv/programmes/sport/cricket-on-five

No comments:

Post a Comment