Sunday 20 February 2011

World Cup bombshell–Sri Lanka beat Canada #cwc2011

I did my best to get excited about the World Cup, I really did.

I enjoyed listening to the tournament’s opener yesterday between India and Bangladesh. I even stayed up to watch the highlights, marvelling at the power hitting of Tamim Iqbal and a one-legged Virender Sehwag.

Virender Sehwag scored a superb 175 in the World Cup's opening game

But the results of games 2 and 3 have quickly knocked on the head any thought that this tournament could be something more than a drawn-out, bloated cash cow, designed purely to ensure that the leading teams don’t get knocked out early.

In case you missed them, this is what happened earlier today:

Kenya 69 v  v New Zealand 72/0 (8 ov)
New Zealand won by 10 wickets (with 252 balls remaining)

Sri Lanka 332/7 v Canada 122 (36.5 ov)
Sri Lanka won by 210 runs

And we still must sit through another 39 games spread over more than a month before reaching the quarter-finals. My heart sinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment