Tuesday 9 August 2011

The Cambridge Companion to Cricket - isn't 'pastoral' an adjective?

I must admit that I am struggling to enjoy The Cambridge Companion to Cricket

Perhaps it's been too long since I left university. Perhaps I've got more used to ghosted autobiographies and tour diaries. Perhaps I'm just a bit thick. 

Whatever it is, sentences such as this one cause me serious problems: "village cricket signifies sameness and continuity, not only through history, but across geographical space, a quality that endows this auratic English locale with an imperial dimension."

That comes from the book's opening chapter, 'Cricket pastoral and Englishness' by Anthony Bateman. Even that title ('cricket pastoral'?) seems unnecessarily clever.

But I will persevere - still to come are essays by David Frith, Rob Steen and Mihir Bose amongst others.

No comments:

Post a Comment