Thursday 6 January 2011

Keith Andrew RIP

I was sad to see that the former Northamptonshire and England wicketkeeper Keith Andrew had died.

Most people seem to remember him for his mastery behind the stumps, and for being kept out of the England team by the flamboyant but less technically correct Godfrey Evans.

I, however, will forever remember him for this:

001

I bought this brilliant book when I was still at primary school, and it was all I needed to learn the basics of the game. It still reads well today – I’ve just flicked through it for the first time in many years, and I’m learning once more.

In fact, I would say it was my third most-read book growing up, only behind the Adventures of Robin Hood, and a battered copy of The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, featuring a cover photo of Peter Cushing as a demonic Great Detective.

I particularly like the posed photos in The Skills of Cricket with a very young-looking David Gower:

002

If you can find a copy, I thoroughly recommend it,

No comments:

Post a Comment