Saturday 8 January 2011

Rubbish #Ashes predictions

I have just reminded myself of the Ashes predictions that featured in December’s Wisden Cricketer. They were, to be blunt, truly awful.

Of eighteen assorted journalists and former players, seven actually predicted an Australian victory. Worst prediction of all came from the magazine’s deputy editor Ed Craig, who thought the Aussies would win 2-0.

Special mention must also go to Alan Tyers who went for a 2-1 Australian victory, as he was ‘not convinced by the England seam attack in Aussie conditions.’

A further four pundits went for a drawn series. My favourite writer Lawrence Booth (recently appointed editor of next year’s Wisden) felt that ‘neither side [would be] quite good enough to force an outright win’.

So only seven of eighteen correctly predicted the winners, and only one of those, Ian Botham, got the actual score correct.

I have been saying for ages that I know more about cricket than most of the so-called experts. Now I know I was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment